Mr B Prasada Rao, a Post graduate in Industrial Engineering, joined BHEL in 1978 and had a illustrious career in BHEL and was the Chairman and Managing Director of BHEL from May 2009 to December 2015, one of the largest Public Sector Undertaking in India. Under his dynamic leadership BHEL turnover increased from INR 28 billion to INR 50 billion and received the status of "Maharathna" by Government of India. Among many, a few of his noted achievements are:
I. Institutional Development
Contributed to the growth and development of the power industry by taking a lead role as Chairman of the National/PSU Council, Council of Indian Industries (CII) for 6 years. Likewise similar contributions made as Member, Executive board of the Standing Council of Public enterprises (SCOPE). Provided direction to the innovation initiatives of the Government of India as the member of the Department of Industrial Policy & Promotion (DIPP), as member of Board of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, Sectoral Innovation Council on IPRs for 5 years.
At both unit level at Electronics Division Bangalore and at Corporate level played a lead role in developing strategies for marketing, capacity enhancement, induction of up to date technology and organizational restructuring to ensure that BHEL remained at the top of power sector production not only in India but in Asia.
III. Business Development
As head of marketing in different segments of BHEL and also as the CMD, enhanced the turnover of all divisions leading to doubling of revenues in the six year tenure as head of BHEL. Several innovative initiatives like entering into joint ventures with clients in the State sector, a thrust on diversification and exports saw BHEL through lean periods and fully captured opportunities created by the boom in the power industry caused by economic liberalization.
Implemented a growth strategy leading to doubling turnover from INR 28 billion to INR 50 billion. Enhanced capacity to deliver annually 20,000 MW of power plants to meet the growing needs of the country. Led the diversification into Water, 765KV transmission, rail transportation sectors and Solar Voltaic module production. Signed significant number of Technology transfer agreements and established 3 new manufacturing units. Implemented several strategies for competitive advantage to BHEL in successfully facing Chinese competition.
Scaling up R&D Efforts—Agreements put in place with reputed Institutes (IITs, IISc, NITs etc), established chairs at IIT, Delhi, taken up research place in IIT, Chennai Technology Park, installing enabling infrastructure within BHEL like setting up of around 12 centres of Excellence in emerging technologies (Permanent Magnetics, Superconductivity, Nano Technology etc). These efforts have resulted in BHEL filing patents/copyrights more than one per day and brought several recognitions both nationally and internationally.
RECOGNITIONS and AWARDS
- Honour of Excellence, President of India
- Outstanding Engineer Award by IET
- Lakshya Business Visionary Award by NITIE, Mumbai
- Award for Excellence and outstanding contribution to the public sector by SCOPE
- Distinguished Alumini
- Award by NITIE, Mumbai
- Member, Board of Governors, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research
- Member, Board of Governors, Indian Institute of Management, Kashipur
- Member, Advisory Group, Ministry of Power
- Member, National Manufacturing Competition council
Assignments Post Retirement from BHEL
Serving as Advisor in Steag Energy Services India (a 100% owned subsidiary of Steag Energy Services, Germany) — a company engaged in providing Engineering, Project management, Operation & Maintenance of Power Plants and other Energy Efficiency services.
Govt. Of India’s appointments : on the following Companies/Institutions at Board level (Part time only in non-executive Independent role)
- Central Depository Services Ltd. (CDSL) - Public interest director on the Board
- CDSL Commoditory Repository Ltd — Nominee Director from CDSL
- NITIE, Mumbai – Member of Board of Governors (A premier institute in Industrial Engineering & management)
- Indian Oil corporation — Independent External Monitor
- A member of the Overarching committee on monitoring development of Advanced
- Ultra – Supercritical technology for coal based power generation.
- Appointed by NITI Aayog as Chairman of the Task Force on Utilization of Methanol as part of implementing Methanol Economy in the country.
Independent Director on the Board of TATA Boeing Aerospace Ltd (TBAL) a joint venture of TATA and Boeing.
Has been on the World Energy Council ‘s Studies committee for two terms till Oct’2016.
Currently Chair of PGP Programme of World Energy Council, leading the Programme on Performance of Generating Plants with members from WEC London and other countries.
He is now in the Board of Advisors of Alchemy Enersol International Pvt Ltd